Looking to keep your Hoka shoes clean and fresh without the hassle of hand washing? We’ve got you covered! In this blog article, we will walk you through a simple solution on how to wash Hoka shoes in the washing machine. No need to spend hours scrubbing or searching for alternative methods – we’ve streamlined the process for you. With our step-by-step guide, you can easily clean your Hoka shoes to perfection, giving them the care they deserve. So, let’s dive right in and discover how to wash Hoka shoes in the washing machine!
How to Wash Hoka Shoes in a Washing Machine
Hoka shoes are known for their comfort, support, and durability. Whether you use them for running, hiking, or everyday wear, it’s important to keep them clean to maintain their performance and extend their lifespan. While hand washing is often recommended, you can also safely wash Hoka shoes in a washing machine. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to effectively clean your Hoka shoes without damaging them.
Step 1: Prepare Your Hoka Shoes for Washing
Before tossing your Hoka shoes into the washing machine, it’s essential to properly prepare them. Here’s what you need to do:
- Remove the laces: Take out the laces from your Hoka shoes. This will prevent them from tangling or getting damaged during the washing process.
- Remove the insoles: Most Hoka shoes have removable insoles. Take them out and set them aside. Washing them separately will ensure a more thorough clean.
- Shake off excess dirt: Give your Hoka shoes a good shake to remove any loose dirt or debris. You can also use a soft brush or cloth to gently wipe away any stubborn dirt.
Step 2: Pre-Treat Stains and Odors
If your Hoka shoes have stubborn stains or unpleasant odors, it’s a good idea to pre-treat them before washing. Follow these methods based on the type of stain or odor you’re dealing with:
- Mud or dirt stains: Allow the mud or dirt to dry completely, then gently brush it off with a soft brush. For any remaining stains, create a paste using a mixture of mild detergent and water. Apply the paste to the stained areas and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Grease or oil stains: Blot the stain with a paper towel or cloth to remove any excess oil. Then, sprinkle a small amount of baking soda or cornstarch onto the stain and let it sit for a few hours to absorb the oil. Finally, brush off the powder and proceed with the washing process.
- Stubborn or set-in stains: If the above methods don’t fully remove stubborn stains, you can try using a stain remover product specifically designed for athletic shoes. Follow the instructions on the product for best results.
- Baking soda method: Sprinkle baking soda inside your Hoka shoes and let it sit overnight. Baking soda naturally absorbs odors. The next day, shake out the excess baking soda before proceeding to wash the shoes.
- Vinegar method: Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution inside your Hoka shoes and let it sit for a few minutes. Vinegar helps eliminate bacteria and neutralize odors. Afterward, wipe the inside with a clean cloth and allow the shoes to air dry before washing.
- Tea tree oil method: Add a few drops of tea tree oil to a small amount of water and mix well. Apply this mixture inside your Hoka shoes using a cloth or sponge. Tea tree oil has natural antibacterial properties. Allow the shoes to air dry before washing.
Step 3: Choose the Right Washing Machine Settings
When it comes to washing your Hoka shoes, selecting the appropriate settings on your washing machine can make a significant difference. Follow these guidelines:
- Machine type: Use a top-loading washing machine instead of a front-loading one. Top-loading machines are generally gentler on shoes.
- Wash cycle: Opt for a gentle or delicate wash cycle with cold or lukewarm water. Avoid hot water, as it can damage the shoe materials.
- Detergent: Use a mild detergent that is suitable for delicate fabrics. Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals, as they can degrade the shoe’s materials.
- Mesh laundry bag: To further protect your Hoka shoes, place them in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase. This will prevent the shoes from rubbing against the machine’s drum and minimize the risk of damage.
Step 4: Washing Your Hoka Shoes
Now that you’ve prepared your Hoka shoes and selected the appropriate washing machine settings, it’s time to wash them. Follow these steps:
- Place your Hoka shoes, along with the laces and insoles (if they are machine washable), into the mesh laundry bag or pillowcase.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent to the washing machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Start the gentle or delicate wash cycle with cold or lukewarm water.
- Once the wash cycle is complete, remove your Hoka shoes from the mesh laundry bag or pillowcase.
- Allow your Hoka shoes to air dry in a well-ventilated area. Avoid direct sunlight or using a dryer, as excessive heat can cause the materials to warp or shrink.
Step 5: Reassemble and Maintain Your Clean Hoka Shoes
After your Hoka shoes have dried completely, it’s time to reassemble them and take care of them for future use. Follow these final steps:
- Reinsert the insoles into your Hoka shoes once they are fully dry.
- Replace the laces with clean ones or rewash the original laces separately if needed.
- Store your clean Hoka shoes in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing them in airtight containers as this can promote the growth of mold and mildew.
- Regularly clean and maintain your Hoka shoes to prolong their lifespan. Remove dirt after each use and repeat the washing process as necessary.
With the proper care and maintenance, you can keep your Hoka shoes performing at their best. Washing them in a washing machine is a convenient and effective way to remove dirt, stains, and odors without causing damage. Just remember to follow the step-by-step guide outlined in this article to ensure a successful and safe cleaning process. By keeping your Hoka shoes clean, you’ll be able to enjoy their exceptional comfort and durability for many miles to come.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Hoka shoes be washed in a washing machine?
Yes, Hoka shoes can be washed in a washing machine. However, it is important to follow the proper steps to ensure they are cleaned effectively without causing damage.
What should I do before washing my Hoka shoes in the washing machine?
Before washing your Hoka shoes, remove the insoles and laces. This will allow for a more thorough cleaning and prevent tangling during the washing cycle.
Should I use any specific detergent when washing Hoka shoes in a washing machine?
It is recommended to use a mild detergent or a shoe cleaner specifically designed for athletic shoes. Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals, as they may damage the materials of the shoes.
How should I prepare my Hoka shoes for washing in the machine?
To prepare your Hoka shoes for the washing machine, place them in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase. This will help protect the shoes from getting tossed around and potentially damaged inside the machine.
What cycle and temperature setting should I use when washing Hoka shoes in the machine?
Set your washing machine to a gentle or delicate cycle with cold water. High temperatures can cause the shoes to lose their shape or shrink, so it’s important to use cold water to maintain the integrity of the shoes.
How should I dry my Hoka shoes after washing them in the machine?
Air-drying is the best method to dry Hoka shoes after washing. Avoid using a dryer or direct heat sources, as they can damage the shoes. Stuff the shoes with crumpled paper or clean towels to help them retain their shape as they dry.
To wash your Hoka shoes in a washing machine, follow these simple steps. First, remove the laces and insoles. Place the shoes in a pillowcase or laundry bag to protect them from getting damaged. Add a small amount of mild detergent and select a delicate cycle with cold water. Avoid using bleach or fabric softeners. Once the cycle is complete, let the shoes air dry in a well-ventilated area. Remember to never put your Hoka shoes in the dryer. By following these steps, you can effectively clean your Hoka shoes in the washing machine.